How much do the Bavarian biotechs feel the effects of the coronavirus pandemic?
What challenges do the Bavarian biotech companies have to deal with as a result of the coronavirus pandemic? What effects are they feeling and what measures have they taken?
As the management organization for the Bavarian biotechnology and pharmaceutical industry, BioM wants to provide the best possible support in overcoming the current challenges posed by the coronavirus pandemic.
That is why we have conducted a survey to provide a snapshot of the current situation within the Bavarian life science community.
94 participants at executive level took part in the survey.
The complete evaluation can be found under: BioM-COVID19-Company Survey
- 55% of respondents are concerned about the corona virus pandemic for their company, 20% of them extremely or very much.
- 50% of the companies surveyed indicated a drop in sales, 17% said the drop in sales was existential or very significant; 13% of the companies stated an increase in sales.
- 26% of the companies have applied for or are planning to receive financial support from the Federal Government or the Free State of Bavaria; financial aid is urgently needed for 16%.
Organizing childcare, home office and workflows as well as hygiene measures in the company, delaying clinical studies, delivery bottlenecks and raising capital were the biggest challenges for the companies.
- 64% of companies offer products or services that can be used to combat COVID-19.
- 20% of those questioned are looking for cooperation partners to develop Covid-19 relevant products / services. The more than 90 entries on the BioM COVID-19 platform impressively show the willingness of the companies in the Bavarian biotechnology cluster to cooperate.
The insights gained from this survey help the BioM cluster management to tailor offers to demand; they have also been shared with political stakeholders at federal and state level as an important basis for decision-making. The BioM team continues to address individual questions directly concerning how to cope with the special challenges posed by the pandemic.