Are you interested in a new funding opportunity to support collaboration between EU and Japanese companies in the development of innovative products and applications with a strong market potential?
Within the GlobalStars initiative of EUREKA, Japan (NEDO), the United Kingdom, Canada, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Israel, and Spain are supporting this common call. The call will open in early June and run until early September 2020.
The call for proposals will be an open call inviting projects from any sector area except nuclear and pharmaceuticals. However, projects from the health and biotechnology sector other than pure production of medicine are welcome to apply. Please contact your National Contact Point for eligibility criteria.
EUREKA is an intergovernmental organisation for market-driven industrial research and development. It is a decentralised network facilitating the coordination of national funding on Research, Development and Innovation, aiming to boost the productivity & competitiveness of industries.
An informative webinar took place on 28.4.2020, organized by the EU-Japan Centre. If you wish to receive the presentation slides, please contact the Centre or BioM.
The webinar was targeted to EU and Japanese companies and organisations seeking information about new opportunities to collaborate in a call for joint project proposals from any sector, towards the research and development of innovative products and applications with a strong market potential.
GlobalStars Call for Joint R&D Projects under EUREKA between Japan and the EUREKA member countries:
1. Call description
Within the GlobalStars initiative of EUREKA, based on mutual consent, Canada, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Israel, Spain, UK and Japan are launching a common call. Participants from Japan and the respective EUREKA member countries are invited to submit joint project proposals in the research and development of innovative products and applications with a strong market potential.
2. Qualification Criteria
Partners must meet the following qualifications:
- The consortium should include at least two companies that are independent from each other, one company for Japan and one company from one of the EUREKA member countries participating in the call.
- The project partners must express their will to cooperate on a win-win/fair basis in an R&D project leading to a new product, industrial process or service.
- The product, process or service must be innovative, and there must be a technological risk involved for all involved partners.
- The project must benefit all involved partners.
- The project should have an obvious benefit and added value resulting from the technological cooperation between the participants from the different countries (e.g. increased knowledge base, commercial leads, access to R&D infrastructure etc.).
- A signed Consortium Agreement (CA) is required upon approval, before the actual start of the project. It ought to include, amongst others, the ownership and use of know-how and IPR settlements
- The maximum duration of a project may not exceed 24 months.
- No individual organisation, or individual country, can claim more than 70% of the total eligible costs of a joint project.
- Military projects are excluded.
Any partner whose cooperative R&D project is consistent with the aforesaid criteria can apply to the present call in accordance with the national laws, rules, regulations and procedures in effect in each country, on a non-exchange of funds basis, and subject to budgetary availability. The amount of funding available per project partner is subject to national rules and regulations.
Project partners are strongly advised, prior to submitting the application, to contact the National Contact Point in order to check the eligibility of their project: https://www.eureka.dlr.de/index.php
Partners from other EUREKA countries or countries outside of EUREKA can also participate, but they will not be funded by the participating funding agencies in this call. Subsequently, these partners have to secure their own funding within the deadlines for this call.